Sunday, January 09, 2011

"OH GOD THERE'S AN ORGY IN MY MOUTH!"

I am learning to experiment with food. I am literally going to the produce section and picking a veggie that I have never seen before and take it home and do something with it.
That past time I did this, I took home a butternut squash. I tried it before when it was cooked. Lean Cuisine also makes a great frozen entree called Butternut Squash Ravioli. I have never seen a butternut squash in it's original form. I am home now and scouring the internet for healthy meals the incorporate butternut squash. Roasting it and adding spices was a bit boring for me. Make a desert type casserole was a bit much and the more stuff you put in it the less healthy it becomes. I wanted something different. Then I came across it! Moroccan Tangine found on allrecpie.com. I looked at it's ingredient list and I was surprised that i could actually make this dish ASAP because I had all the ingredients.
Here is the recipe



Ingredients

  • 1 tablespoon olive oil
  • 2 skinless, boneless chicken breast halves - cut into chunks
  • 1/2 onion, chopped
  • 3 cloves garlic, minced
  • 1 small butternut squash, peeled and chopped
  • 1 (15.5 ounce) can garbanzo beans, drained and rinsed
  • 1 carrot, peeled and chopped
  • 1 (14.5 ounce) can diced tomatoes with juice
  • 1 (14 ounce) can vegetable broth (make sure to get low sodium)
  • 1 tablespoon sugar ( I used Splenda)
  • 1 tablespoon lemon juice
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 1 teaspoon ground coriander
  • 1 dash cayenne pepper

Directions

  1. Heat the olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat, and cook the chicken, onion, and garlic about 15 minutes, until browned.
  2. Mix the squash, garbanzo beans, carrot, tomatoes with juice, broth, sugar, and lemon juice into the skillet. Season with salt, coriander, and cayenne pepper. Bring the mixture to a boil, and continue cooking 30 minutes, until vegetables are tender. 
 
I didn't know what to expect when I made it. When I tried it, there was explosion of flavor in my mouth. Like Stewie on Family Guy, "OH GOD THERE'S AN ORGY IN MY MOUTH!" It's that freaking good. It can also become a vegetarian dish by omitting the chicken... but I like my meat. 
 
Try it, it's fabulous. I literally had it for dinner then for lunch the following two days. Best of all it's healthy!
Serving Size 1/6 of a recipe
Servings Per Recipe 6

Amount Per Serving  
Calories 265
Calories from Fat 39

  % Daily Value *
Total Fat 4.3g 7 %
** Saturated Fat 0.7g 3 %
** Cholesterol 20mg 7 %
Sodium 878mg 35 %
** Potassium 905mg 25 %
Total Carbohydrates 44.7g 14 %
Dietary Fiber 8.1g 32 %
Protein 14.2g 28 %
** Sugars 9.3g
Vitamin A 407 %
Vitamin C 76 %
Calcium 18 %
Iron 41 %
** Thiamin 22 %
** Niacin 54 %
** Vitamin B6 46 %
** Magnesium 31 %
** Folate
 
I should also let you know my kids loved it too.
 

No comments: